Project Duration: 9 month (January 2020 – September 2020)
Project Location: 6 Region in both Unguja Island and Pemba Island
Total Amount of the Project: USD 15000
Less Counterpart Contribution: USD 1800
Zanzibar has the highest rate of youth unemployment. This is mostly caused by illiteracy and no knowledge of Information Communications Technology for most jobs require knowledge of ICT. The lack of knowledge is attributed to no access to ICT since there are no Multi-purpose Information Centers in Zanzibar.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
1. To provide the community of Zanzibar. with standard Information Communications Technology Centres.
2. To develop ICT knowledge among young people in Zanzibar: Being exposed to the centres shall benefit the
youth in gaining knowledge on ICT.
3. To provide hands-on education and training on ICT for the users: There shall be computer classes for the
users of the centres. In these they will learn the basics of computers with courses that reflect acceptable
4. To exploit opportunities available in the ICT industry to better meet youth employment: The ICT industry is
by far the rapidly growing industry, It has vast opportunities of employment, ranging from typing to
programming. Some of the computer courses are provided free online. This project shall seize those
opportunities to help the youth with them.
5. To train young people of Zanzibar in ICT systems development and support: As part of the classes to be
provided, the youth shall be trained to know how to upgrade systems and how to maintain programmes.
NATURE OF COMMUNITY TO BE SERVED
Young people who do not have access to ICT shall be given first priority. These are people who cannot afford exposing themselves to ICT but are willing to learn and develop their knowledge on ICT.
NEEDS PROJECT SHALL MEET
The youth of Unguja and Pemba shall:
- have access to ICT.
- be trained on ICT use
- be trained on systems development and support
- gain knowledge on ICT for the work area.
- have more opportunities for employment.
NUMBER OF PEOPLE TO BENEFIT
An estimated 300 young people shall benefit from this project in the first phase of operation. This number shall increase with time. These shall be trained to use ICT and develop their skills on ICT. They shall exploit opportunities of self-employment in the industry of ICT.
PROJECT’S IMPACT ON DEVELOPMENT
Through this project young people shall be employable. They shall learn to use ICT programmes for office functions. They shall gain training on ICT. Also young people shall discover opportunities of self-employment and entrepreneurship in the ICT industry. This shall have a positive impact in the economy of the country as young people develop their knowledge and use of ICT and be inline with the world on ICT lowering the unemployment and illiteracy of youth in Zanzibar.
The community shall, on usage of the centers, contribute minimum finances for the sustainability of the project. The finances shall be for maintaining the centers including cleaning expenses, bills, paying of trainers and educators, and insurance of the centers. These shall also make the community be devoted to the project and will help select those who are serious with developing their knowledge and usage of ICT.